09 Feb Why Should You Hire a Professional to Remove Asbestos in Arlington Heights?
Asbestos was a common building material that was used as a fire retardant as well as an insulator up until the 1970s. Although it proved to be very useful for both of these purposes, it was soon discovered that the material is extremely harmful to human health.
Some of the more common asbestos-containing items that still exist in some Arlington Heights homes include:
- Door gaskets
- Coal and oil furnaces
- Loose-fill insulation
- Ceiling texture
- Pipe insulation
- Tile backing and adhesives
- Vinyl floor tiles
- Heat-resistant board
Below, we are going to discuss two major reasons why you should hire a professional for asbestos testing and asbestos removal in Arlington Heights, Illinois:
1. Self-Removal of Asbestos is Dangerous
Asbestos, if not handled with the proper precautions and equipment, can have very serious negative health repercussions.
Because the material itself is so hard to destroy, asbestos fibers cannot be broken down by the human body; instead, when these fibers are inhaled, they stick to the lung and body tissues. The asbestos then remains lodged in place and can later lead to fatal disease. The 3 primary diseases associated with asbestos exposure are:
- Asbestosis: A serious chronic respiratory disease that causes shortness of breath and a crackling sound in the lungs during inhalation
- Lung Cancer: Exposure to asbestos can induce lung cancer, which can lead to chest pains, hoarseness, and anemia
- Mesothelioma: A rare form of cancer occurring in the thin membrane lining of the lungs, chest, and abdomen
Due to the harmful nature of this material, it is critical that you never attempt asbestos removal on your own. Instead, it’s highly recommended that you call in a licensed asbestos removal company. They will be able to give you an accurate evaluation, both in terms of the time it will take to remove the asbestos from your home or business property, and the cost.
2. Restrictions on Asbestos Removal
Different states, cities, and counties have varying regulations about self-removal of asbestos by a homeowner. In fact, in many places, there are regulations that require agencies to regulate all asbestos removal projects.
Due to the vast difference in approvals and permit requirements across different areas, it’s difficult to state the exact procedure for asbestos removal. However, some of the basic requirements for homeowners include:
- Isolated properties: Self-removal is generally allowed where the property is isolated; this includes single-family residences, mobile homes, houseboats, detached garages, and detached guesthouses. Self-removal is not permitted in multiple-family units, mixed-use buildings, and residential neighborhoods.
- Commercial properties: Do-it-yourself asbestos removal is generally not permitted in commercial places, including small shops and businesses.
- Permit requirements: A homeowner will need to contact their permitting department to begin demolition work at their home.
- Disposal: Asbestos removed cannot be dumped in the garbage pickup. The contaminated materials will need to be disposed at an approved facility.
Due to the fact that asbestos removal is hazardous, has long-term respiratory problems, and can lead to chronic illness, local government regulations are put in place strictly for safety reasons. Rather than putting your health at risk, it’s better to hire a professional asbestos removal contractor to take care of any asbestos in your home or commercial property.
Professional Asbestos Testing and Asbestos Removal Services in Arlington Heights, Illinois
Are you looking to utilize the services of an asbestos testing and asbestos removal company in the Arlington Heights, Illinois area? If so, then look no further. The professionals at B.B. Construction are ready to serve you. Our experienced and highly-skilled team has assisted in testing and removing asbestos in many homes throughout Arlington Heights.
Contact us at 773-436-9830 to schedule an appointment today!